I’ve already built my own DSLR rig based on copper pipe and a cutting board (based on this design), but I wanted to look into a more professional rig.
So, after a little while on Amazon (full disclosure, these are all affiliate links, so I do get a little money if you buy them), I found all the parts to make the rig for less than the one pictured above (but looking almost identical to it). One caveat, though. I haven’t actually ordered the whole thing yet. If I do, this is what I’ll be getting:
- One Matte Box (no filter ring) or this Matte Box (no filter ring)
- Two Rod clamps, (Rod Clamp, or Rod Clamp) to secure the handles to the rod above them.
- Two of the Basic Black Rubber Handle
- One 90 degree Mount Bracket Rail Rod Clamp for 15mm rod DSLR Rig Rail
- DSLR Follow Focus With Gear Ring Belt
- A Camera platform for 15mm rig
- An LCD viewfinder eyepiece
- and a Shoulder pad for 15mm DSLR Rod Support Rig
You might notice that there are three crucial compenents missing from the list. That’s because a recent trip to Ikea got me the 15mm rails. Now, they call them “drawer handles,” but if you have a local store, stop by and see if these rods don’t fit the bill. At $12.99 for the 33 1/2″ ones (and cheaper for the shorter ones), I don’t see a reason to buy the purpose made $100 ones.
So, let’s total up my costs: $184.71 for all the parts (as of May 11, 2014 including shipping) + $12.99 for the rods. That’s $197.70. Now, let’s compare that to the one in the picture above. It sells for $256.43 (after shipping). So, while it didn’t save me hundreds of dollars, I can think of something to do with around $60.
If this is the type of rig you’re looking for, I hope my shopping helps you.